Grabbing sequence values blocks in consecutive order: Need a guaranteed method.

  • From: FmHabash <fmhabash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L Group <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 13:20:36 -0400

Hi all,
I have a need for a java app to be able in some guaranteed manner to grab a
block of sequence values that are consecutive in order.
Given the fact that there can potentially be multiple sessions making such
request, no session should end up interrupting another's while this sequence
values block is being granted.
I know this can be done on java side, but thought may be it can also be done on
db as well.
My initial review shows that sequences will never guarantee gapless values. If
this is the case, can this still be done at least guaranteeing an ordered (not
necessarily consecutive ) values?

Thanks