Re: GoldenGate Extract wants archivelog from before checkpoint

  • From: Mark Van de Wiel <mark.van.de.wiel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dedba@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 21:40:48 -0700

Tony,

There must have been an open transaction at the point where the extract
wants to start that began in your archive log sequence 187880, and
GoldenGate wants to read the full history of that transaction. Chances
are this is a session (e.g. Toad is pretty notorious for these kinds of
sessions) that opened a transaction, never did anything, and never will
do anything, but you don't know unless you capture the entire transaction.

The most recent version of GoldenGate addresses this challenge but since
it looks like you weren't running this upgrading now won't fix your problem.

There is a way to skip a single transaction and I believe this is
documented. However to be sure you only skip the one transaction you
cannot capture anymore you might want to talk to Oracle Support. Also,
of course if this isn't a completely idle transaction then you will miss
changes in your replication process. GoldenGate captures per transaction
and if the transaction is not in the list of transactions to track then
it ignores any DML/DDL for the transaction.

You can also reset the extract to start at a more recent point in time
but then you will likely skip more transactions, since GoldenGate will
only start capturing transactions that start after the point where you
reset it.

Hope this helps.

Mark.