RE: Golden Gate

If you know your application well you can probably get parallel threads of
replication going faster (with a little user elbow grease in terms of
specifications). Streams is probably more bulletproof with the attendant
overhead of the computer figuring out more for you (it is not slower because
the Oracle coders are stupid - they are not stupid.) Your mileage may vary.

If I correctly understood the presentation at OOW with Juan and the ex-CEO
and now Oracle employee of Goldengate at the table at the front of the room
and the product manager for Streams in the audience (and brought actively
into the conversational presentation by Juan), the Golden Gate product
methodology is the strategic direction for replication, key bits of Streams
including having the code in your hands instead of having to guess a bit and
reverse engineer will be used to augment and further enhance golden gate.
Streams probably remains strategic for the pathway of doing non-stop
physical dataguard where you do the bit about temporarily switching to
logical dataguard, so I would expect that the streams engine never
disappears.

For customer benchmarks I observed where the customer understood their
application suite well and could set up parallel threads some of which
didn't have to check back for coordination sync points, Golden Gate was
clearly faster. There may have been a differential in the expertise used to
set up Golden Gate versus Streams in favor of Golden Gate and I cannot
publish those numbers so don't bother asking. But as set up, Golden Gate was
faster. I believe the customer thought it was also easier to understand and
get restarted with less cleanup overhead when something went bump. Some
people have also set up Streams to go very fast (was that you, Kirti?), and
I don't know what the results would have been with a world class configurer
of Streams.

And remember, something always goes bump (usually at the worst time.)

At the time of the OOW presentation Juan said something like, hey, this
acquistion is so new we really only have started to think about how to put
the pieces together and it will take a while to sort out. So take all I've
written with a grain of salt.

mwf

  _____

From: steve montgomerie <stmontgo@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Golden Gate
To: dmann99@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, November 18, 2009, 7:57 AM

Nice WebCast on Golden Gate.

Hope the link works for you. Might be of interest to you.

http://www.oracle.com/webapps/dialogue/dlgpage.jsp?p_ext=Y
<http://www.oracle.com/webapps/dialogue/dlgpage.jsp?p_ext=Y&p_dlg_id=8286503
&src=6878223&Act=31&msgid=8287286&eid=3927988045&lid=1>
&p_dlg_id=8286503&src=6878223&Act=31&msgid=8287286&eid=3927988045&lid=1