Re: Global (and local) Temporary Tables & PL/SQL

  • From: "Stephen Andert" <andert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 15:24:33 -0700

Nial, Jared, Michael,

Thanks for your thoughts.  I have digested them (partway) and passed
along some additional information to my developer friend for us to
discuss further.

Thanks
Stephen

On 4/3/07, Stephen Andert <andert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello wise ones!

I was just approached with a question/problem.  A developer (not a
DUHveloper, this guy is usually pretty good) wants to investigate
using temporary tables for intermediate processing.  He is trying to
test this but when he modifies his PL/SQL to use the global temporary
table, it won't compile as the table is created and populated in the
same step and thus does not exist when trying to compile the
procedure.

The facts known at this time are:

1. This table may be somewhat large (several hundred thousand rows
with several VARCHAR 255 fields) at first, but later will be much more
reasonable.

2. Many users will be using this table at the same time with differing
data and processing other data based on what they do with the data in
these temp tables.

The questions are:

1. What factors should influence global or local temporary (or even
"real" tables if they may be better)?

2. Is there a way to "force" PL/SQL to "trust me, the table will be
there" to get the proc to compile.

3. What else should I be thinking about that I am not (since I just
got blind-sided with this).

Thanks In Advance.
--
Stephen Andert
http://andertfamily.net/racing_reports.aspx

Any idiot can run.
It takes a special kind of idiot to run a marathon.