RE: Global Names

alter database rename global_name to <database.domain>

-----Original Message-----
From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of R J Zijlstra
Sent: 19 July 2005 06:30
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Global Names

Oracle version 8.1.7

We bought an appl from some other firm.
They had a procedure for making a back-up: copy all dbf files, throw away
ctl files etc etc.
This works, but the problem is, that on any db instance we have ( prod,
test, dev etc) we have the same name for global_name ( select global_name
from global_name). ( And that name is the name of the original inst from the
firm that made the original appl)
This give a nice problem: any db link we create gives a 'circular reference'
error.
Because I'm a developer and there is no DBA in the house (no money; public
healthcare...), I do not know how to handle this.

We now back up by a job that does a hot-backup at night, but still the same
global_name.
Is there any way to change this name?

Thanks,

Rob