Re: Ghost Data

  • From: Julio Aguilar-Chang <jachang@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 17:12:05 -0600

Brandon,
Please explain "it had a bunch of data from other database tables in it". Is this other data actual "application" data, not just data dictionary data?

Julio.

Allen, Brandon wrote:

I'm starting a new thread on this specific topic to avoid high jacking the other one. Reading about this "ghost data" reminds me of a surprising discovery I made a few months ago but had forgotten about until today.

I created a brand new tablespace with a new datafile, created one table in the new tablespace and inserted one row. When I ran "strings" on the datafile, I only saw the instance name and tablespace name -- so far, so good. Then I forced a checkpoint to write the data out to the file and was surprised to find that when I looked at the datafile with "strings" again, it had a bunch of data from other database tables in it. Is this normal, known behavior? Does Oracle just copy data from other blocks of the database into the new file as buffer space to fill it up? I duplicated this on 8.1.7.3 and 10.2.0.4.

Thanks,

Brandon