Re: Getting started with RMAN

  • From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: janine@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 09:12:08 -0300

Just a note... EXPORTS ARE NOT BACKUP! they are a mean for transporting data
between databases... THEY SHOULD NEVER be considered backups or relied upon
as backups.

That being said, there are rare instances in which having an export turns
out to be useful and reduces back-to-production time, but it is not a
restore/recovery, just a solution to a (usually) user-caused problem (like
data deletion).

The only truly valid backup taken with 'export' would be a cold export (i.e.
with the DB in restricted mode, and even then ensuring that no app user has
dba privileges), but if you have the downtime window, a cold backup is much
better and a lot faster to restore.

sorry for the slight OT.

hth
Alan.-