Re: Getting started with RMAN

  • From: Harel Safra <harel.safra@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: norman.dunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 17:27:20 +0300

This attempts to make sure that the data is consistent, yes. However, I
**think** that if you do the export as "/ as sysdba" then for some
reason it may not actually be consistent! Now I'm sure to be corrected
in this because I read it about 6 months ago and now I cannot find where
I read it. So apologies in advance if I'm misleading you.
You remember correctly. From ask tom (http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:21545894805637):

Ahh -- they tricked you -- read only transactions are*NOT SUPPORTED*  for "sys"
(as sysdba or
otherwise)

and they are using a read only transaction.

the documentation has this to say:

<quote>
CONSISTENT=y is unsupported for exports that are performed when you are
connected as user SYS or
you are using AS SYSDBA, or both.
</quote>

Harel Safra