Getting started with RMAN

  • From: Janine Sisk <janine@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 14:41:10 -0700

Most of the feedback on my archive log deletion question (thank you for all the
answers!) focused on making sure that your last backup is good before deleting
any log files.  This makes perfect sense, but I would rather not write that
script if I don't have to (define "backup is good" for all cases :).  The
second most common piece of advice was to let RMAN do it as part of the process
of backing up.

I just took a quick look at Oracle's Backup and Recovery doc to see what I
would be getting myself into in using RMAN.  Since this is an Amazon EC2
instance, there's no tape drive and my only choice is to back up to "disk"
(really an EBS volume created for this purpose).

From a quick scan, this doc looks like most technical docs, which is to say it
tells you all about what you can do, but not what you should do.  I don't want
to read this entire thing from end to end and then figure out the best
strategy;  I'm sure someone else (or quite a few someone elses) have already
done that.

So... what's your favorite book/website/other resource on configuring RMAN for
the first time?

Thanks in advance,

janine