Re: Fwd: Snapshot too old from READ-ONLY table (data pump export)

  • From: Laimutis.Nedzinskas@xxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 14:05:20 +0300

>http://arup.blogspot.com/2011/01/more-on-interested-transaction-lists.html

Exactly.
But I had to add this to

http://avdeo.com/2008/06/16/interested-transaction-list-itl/

https://richardfoote.wordpress.com/2010/07/20/index-block-dump-block-header-part-i-editions-of-you/

and

https://richardfoote.wordpress.com/2010/07/28/index-block-dump-block-header-part-ii-and-read-consistency-i-cant-read/

to Jonatahn Lewis comments at:.

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=3725660

Jonathan is probably the first in the above mentioned links to talk about
COMMIT scn not just CHANGE scn - who cares about change SCN anyway ?
But he makes one interesting statement:

"When all the ITL entries show SCNs no later than your query SCN the clone
is read-consistent and the data can be used by the query."

I'd like to know what was ment by that. My interpretation is:

one can reconstruct a consistent read of a particular row at query start
SCN. Or one can reconstruct a consistent read of the whole block at query
start SCN.

As oracle operates "in blocks" then I assume this is how oracle
reconstructs the consistent read of a block: ALL ITL's have to be delt with
to have every row in a block rollbacked to commit SCN just before query
start SCN.

and finally

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=521913

Mark J Bobak tells what is really needed to complete the picture:

"Then, at the row level, in the row directory, there's a lock byte. The
value of the lock byte will be either 0, if there is no lock on the row, or
it will be the number of the slot in the ITL that corresponds to the
transaction that's making a change, or just holding a lock, on that
particular row. So, the locked row in the block points to the ITL slot, and
the ITL slot points back at the undo segment/slot/sequence. "

Here, IMHO, the structure is complete:

Row Lock byte points to ITL, ITL points to transaction commit SCN and undo
record.

Then everything adds up: row level locking, transaction isolation, all
ITL's traversal.

The block oriented nature of oracle is explained by Tom Kyte:

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:27330770500351
"o we cache blocks
o we read blocks
o blocks have transaction tables on them, this is what drives the
multi-versioning

relational databases tend to do things "to blocks", it is basically the way
they work.

We do not multi-version ROWS.
We multi-version BLOCKS.
"

Quite a list to have somehow complete picture :) , isn't it  ?

Brgds, Laimis N

  From:       Ron Chennells <ron.chennells@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

  To:         oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Date:       2011.07.19 11:58