Fwd: RE: Listener under ASM or db?

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Dave.Herring@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 09:36:32 -0600

Taking a TNS Listener down does not "break" existing database
connections -- it only means new connection requests from clients get
no response.

So, before patching/upgrading /lsnr, "move" the listener to the
ORACLE_HOME with the highest version temporarily, then patch/upgrade
/lsnr.  Outage is very very brief (i.e. /lsnr/bin/lsnrctl stop,
/db_2/bin/lsnrctl start).  Once upgrade of /lsnr is complete (and it
is only the "relink" phase that really matters), then "move" the
listener back to /lsnr (i.e. /db_2/bin/lsnrctl stop, /lsnr/bin/lsnrctl
start)...

Quoting Herring Dave - dherri <Dave.Herring@xxxxxxxxxx>:

Good points, but now I?m even more confused. Let?s say I?ve got /asm, /db_1, and /db_2 homes and then place the listener in it?s own home /lnsr. Now I want to patch or upgrade /db_2. If I want to keep the listener at the highest release, then I?d want to patch/upgrade /lnsr. But, to do that I?d have to take the listener down, which would break all communication with ASM, which would in effect bring both databases down.

What am I missing or have an incorrect understanding of?

Dave

----- End forwarded message -----