RE: Fw: OT - Getting fired for database oops

  • From: "Tanel Poder" <tanel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dreveewee@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Jared Still'" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 12:44:40 +0300

Hi,

Someone could also put the login.sql into /tmp and just wait until the DBA
runs sqlplus while being in /tmp directory...

The first script what I wrote for my script toolset was i.sql (who am I)
script, which queries v$instance and USER pseudovariable to show where I'm
logged on.

SQL> @i

USERNAME             INST_NAME    HOST_NAME                 SID   SERIAL#
VERSION    STARTED
-------------------- ------------ ------------------------- ----- --------
---------- --------
SYS                  win10g       PORGAND                   149   9574
10.2.0.1.0 20090522

It takes couple of keypresses to run (as I keep my script directory in
SQLPATH) and I always run it just before doing any change in production
database.

If I don't have my scripts available, then I just run this, doesn't take
long to type either:

SQL> select user, i.* from v$instance i;

USER                           INSTANCE_NUMBER INSTANCE_NAME    HOST_NAME
------------------------------ --------------- ----------------
-------------
SYS                                          1 win10g           PORGAND

The reason why I don't use special prompts or screen colors is that there's
a theoretical chance that these don't get set or reset for whatever reason
(like human error, someone forgot to set the color for latest db name or
install the glogin.sql script properly etc). But querying server side v$
views is as close as you get in determining where you're logged on.

My i.sql is here if anyone is interested:
http://www.tanelpoder.com/files/scripts/i.sql

It has two windows specific commands (host title and host doskey) in the end
on unix you can comment these out.

The first sets the cmd.exe window title to also show where I'm logged on,
but that's for convenience only, I still run i.sql before making any changes
to production db's. The other command just works around a describe linesize
problem (a macro to make linesize smaller when running describe commands so
that the output would fit onto screen also with wider linesize).

--
Regards,
Tanel Poder

  _____