Re: Fragmentation with restore multiple channels

  • From: Robert Hanuschke <robert.hanuschke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cichomitiko@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 15:23:37 +0200

Hi,
I agree with Tim fully, but thinking about the combination "rman and
fragmentation" at all left me wondering, maybe I learn something new...

I'm not immensely familiar with how rman works internally, but I was under
the impression that it does a block-by-block copy of whatever it backs
up/restores.
So I don't really see how even with incremental backups any kind of
fragmentation increase/decrease because of rman operations should be
possible. The data inside the blocks may be fragmented, but rman doesn't
look inside the blocks - does it?
Block is marked as changed in the tracking file - back it up.
Block is restored? Take that block from the last full backup. Replace the
block with the one of the incremental backup if there's a newer version (if
it even does that or takes the one of the incremental backup right away,
don't know). Same content / fragmentation as during the time of backup.
Also, even with non-default filesperset and section size settings - doesn't
rman restore just put block by block back to order where it copied them
from during backup? It shouldn't matter if I grab blocks 1, 2, 3, and 4
from slots A, B, C and D at the same time or sequentially and place blocks
1, 2, 3 and 4 back to their original order.
If it would indeed change anything in that regard, I'd expect rman to
reorganize the data as datapump does when using just one channel, 1 file
per set and everything else at default - which it doesn't.

Maybe my understanding is flawed here. If so, please tell me.

Best regards,
Robert