Flashback on Primary

  • From: "Maria Gurenich" <gurenich@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:30:25 -0400

 Hi people!

Oracle 10.2.0.3 RHEL4 + physical Standby
I am going to enable flashback feature on the production database and I have
a couple of questions regarding this.

1) I've heard a lot of talks about the difficulty of implementing FLASHBACK
DATABASE command on primary if standby is not configured with flashback.
Thinking about it, I am realizing indeed that I don't see an easy way of
doing that. Let's say, I had to flashback my primary database. What will
happen with the standby? I will need to open it in RO, find the data, and
then make sure that MRP have synced with the primary. And I was told that
this does not work with MAXIMUM PROTECTION. So I guess, my question is as
follows: could you please advise me where can I read (or describe it in a
few words) how the process of flashing back standby if flashback feature is
not enabled on it will look like. And also, how it will look like, if I
enable flashback feature on the standby (I think I would better just
recreate the standby after the enabling flashback on primary).

2) If i am not enabling flashback on standby can I have different
ARCHIVELOG_DEST on primary and stanby? Will my ARCHIVELOGS (not flashback
log) still be shipped to standby?

3) I know that some folks do it in the opposite way, i.e. enabling flashback
on standby only instead of primary. That is not my case. I do need flashback
on primary only and I am trying to avoid enabling it on standby. (But I will
do it if you guys tell me so.)

4) Please let me know about any pitfalls that I've missed.

 Thanks in advance.