RE: Firewalling Oracle

  • From: "Hostetter, Jay M" <JHostetter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 15:06:44 -0500

Jared,

>What problems did you run into with it?

Forgetting to change it when an ip address changed.

>Was it worth the trouble in your opinion?

I was able to sleep better at night.

We have two boxes that were briefly sitting outside of a firewall.  This
is when I implemented the TCP.INVITED_NODES parameter.  Since that time,
these boxes have been moved into a more secure area of the network.  But
since they are outside our corporate firewall I left the parameter in
place.  I've never really had any problems, except when the IP address
of the invited nodes changed.  They were NATted addresses, so it took me
a little while to figure out that it wasn't a firewall problem.

Jay