Re: Filesystem backups

  • From: Marcin Przepiorowski <pioro1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: janine@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 13:40:09 +0100

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 7:59 AM, Janine Sisk <janine@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I split this into two volumes thinking it would be a good idea to spread the
> I/O around a bit, especially while RMAN is running (EBS volumes are not
> exactly speedy, particularly for writes).  I could consolidate it back into
> one volume if this is going to be a huge problem;  I can't think of any other
> way to ensure that the backups are in sync.
>
> Thanks in advance!!!

Hi,

I would recommend to do following scenario:
1. switch logfile, put DB in backup mode, do a snapshot, finish backup
mode, backup control file, switch log files again and copy all archive
log between first and last switch to safe location - DB snapshot and
archive logs allow you to restore snapshot without problems.

2. copy your FRA using snapshot any time after that - it can give you
more possibility to point in time recovery - more archive logs will be
available.

If you will do database and FRA snapshot in same time - you lost a
archive log with DB backup off which is required for recovery. You
have to have a archive logs between start and stop of backup mode and
control file backup created after snapshot

regards,
--
Marcin Przepiorowski
http://oracleprof.blogspot.com