Re: Few questions about Stored outlines

  • From: "Jeremy Paul Schneider" <jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mschmitt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 17:34:52 -0700

Hello fellow chicagoan.  :)

1. "Best approach" depends entirely on what you're trying to accomplish -
you can create then one at a time or automatically in bulk by putting the
database in "generate outline" mode.

2. Stored outlines were indeed designed to assist with upgrades (in
particular moving from RBO to CBO) - they can move across versions.  Seems
I've read in a few blogs that in 10g they take precedence over sql profiles,
so beware.  Also keep in mind that a stored outline is just a set of hints -
I don't have any examples but it seems like maybe a plan could somehow
change across an upgrade.

3. I put a decent list of resources on a blog post I wrote about them
recently, look at the bottom of this page:
http://www.ardentperf.com/2007/03/23/tuning-sql-statement-execution-in-10g-part-2/

-Jeremy

On 6/5/07, Mike Schmitt <mschmitt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hey All,

I had a few questions regarding stored outlines that I was hoping someone
could help me answer.

1)  If your application mainly uses packages and procedures for
everything, what is the best way to create stored outlines?  For outlines
that are not being created for code being executed within procedures.

2)  Are there any restrictions of stored outlines being moved across
versions?  For example, can I export the outlines from a 9i database and
load them into a 10g database.

3)  Does anyone have any recommendations for good sources of info for
stored outlines outside of what can be found in the manual or Metalink

Thanks

--
Jeremy Schneider
Chicago, IL