Fencing Cache in Disk Array for Oracle

  • From: Binh Pham <binhpham15@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 22:22:36 +0000

I'm currently working on a project that involves a new HP XP12000 Disk Array.
The newly acquired array would have 240G of cache on the array that allows data
to be cached between the physical disks and the servers.  This model allows an
amount of cache to be dedicated (fenced) to a specific host, in this case, the
production server therefore other non-production related activities can pollute
the production cache.  The rest of the cache can be shared among the rest of
the non-production servers.

My question is that how much cache should be allocated to ensure top
performance in terms of IO for the production server?  I'm not comfortable with
throwing out a number and say that it is good.  What I'm looking for is some
researchable facts that back up the number (for example, something that I can
mine from statspacks or similar that can be used to determine this number).

Thanks for any input.

Binh Pham
Messenger Café — open for fun 24/7. Hot games, cool activities served daily.
Visit now.
http://cafemessenger.com?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_AugWLtagline