Re: Fasten huge index rebuild - How To ?

  • From: Martic Zoran <zoran_martic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: premjhere@xxxxxxxxx, rjamya <rjamya@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 05:16:31 -0700 (PDT)

Would you tell us on which database event you are
spending the majority of the time?

There are many scenarious there that can lead to slow
index build.

One of these is inappropriate level of parallelism.
I assume you have 8 CPU's on that test machine?

Usual suspects are log file sync - you can try to use
NOLOGGING option together with

--- Prem Khanna J <premjhere@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanx Raj , it seems he had tried that.any other
> trick that can make it fas=
> ter ?
>
> <original post>
> Based on the timing for the domain index creation on
> the CLOB column
> in development database with smaller data volume
> using parallel degree
> of 8, I extrapolated (development database is on a
> much smaller box
> and I used linear extrapolation) that it will take
> ~53 hours to create
> the same index in production database, which is not
> feasible to do
> even in a weekend.
> </original post>
>
> Regards,
> Prem.
>
> On 5/19/05, rjamya <rjamya@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > normally I create large indexes in parallel and
> then alter then to do
> > noparallel, works for me.
> --
> //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l