Re: Failover to another site Full DR.

  • From: David Barbour <david.barbour1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: howard.latham@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 11:50:06 -0500

Howard,

Your question has a number of different levels of complexity involved which
undoubtedly  is the reason you haven't received any replies to this despite
the fact it's entirely possible and many of us in this community probably
have automatic failover set up for databases and applications.

Much depends on your business requirements for an application.  Also there's
the question as to what type of failure for which you are planning.  And
whether or not the application is housed on the same server as the database
server, whether or not you're using application servers, whether or not you
have interfaces that need to connect to the database/application and just a
whole host of other things.

So database failover has to be taken as part of a larger context.  In it's
'simplest' form, Oracle supports Transparent Application Failover (TAF)
which allows a standby or RAC Node to accept connections from a failed
instance.  It's much more seamless in RAC than with Dataguard, but it works
pretty well.

There are a number of Metalink articles that address the configuration(s)
required for TAF, as well as sections in both the Dataguard and RAC Guides
avilable from OTN.

I know this isn't much help, but if you're already shipping logs from the
Primary to the Standby, AND the application(s) and application server(s) -
if any - are not on the datbase server AND the application is merely
connecting to the database (watch out for java) AND your only concern is
database failover then it should be fairly easy to configure TAF.  in this
case, the IP range is immaterial (which is actually true only true 80% of
the time).