Re: FW: relink?

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 21:19:19 +1000

Jeremiah Wilton apparently said,on my timestamp of 25/05/2005 6:27 AM:

> If you are a smarty, you can look in
> $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib/ins_rdbms.mk for the ioracle target and change
> the name of the file it moves the relinked executable to from oracle
> to oracle.new or something.  Then you can verify proper relinking (of
> the oracle executable) ability after the database is up (if it still
> comes up).  It works for the other targets in the makefile, but
> ioracle is the important one, so I never bother with the others.

Bill:
I'd go along with the concept of doing the relink anyway: not because
it'd be mandatory but because you can avoid the problems later on
(and the d'uh factor if something breaks 6 months later).
Jeremiah:
Why not just take advantage of what the default make file does?
It generates the new oracle executable as "oracle" and renames the
previous one "oracleO".  It's easy enough to rename the new one
something else and the old one back to "oracle".  No changes
needed to ins_rdbms.mk - and no problems later on if the changes
muck up something else.

As an aside: I'd look into $ORACLE_HOME/bin and get rid of anything
*O, once the dust settles: saves a LOT of disk space in these days of
the multi-Mb "shared libraries" executables...

Cheers
Nuno Souto
in sunny Sydney, Australia
dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx