RE: FW: backing up rman catalog for disaster recovery

Charlotte,
I found these (see below) in my personal RMAN notes.
While my immediate comments (below) about "CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP"
might be misguided (based on what I believe you are saying) the bug issue
(below that) was very real for me at the time we first when to 9i.

Here is one more thing (is a personal problem not a technical one.)
I hate 9i "CONFIGURE" parameters...if I use them I *ALWAYS* re-set them 1st
thing with *ALL* of my RMAN (shell) scripts.
"But they are *persistent"...yes....but I'm a well trained paranoid DBA...I
assume that between backsup the Evil Empire will log into my database and
change my *persistent* "CONFIGURE" parameters and thus my backup will be
different, missing stuff.  Again I said it was a personal problem not a
technical one...but nobody ever changes anything in a database, right? :0|

Having said that you have given me new hope and I again will try the "CONFIGURE
CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP"...along *with* my tried-and-true "copy controlfile"
syntax...It never hurts to have more backup controlfiles. ;o)

Thanks,

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA

>>  - "CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP"
>> I do not use this, but will look at my notes to see if I tested it.
>> This statement concerns me;
>>   "a manually backed-up controlfile cannot be automatically restored."
>> This implies that a "CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP" can be automatically
>> restored...but I disagree, about the usefulness of that..or the reality of
>> that.
>> Again, using the RMAN rule (really all backup software rule), if I don't
>> "Backup Meta Data", how can I restore anything!?
>> And if I do have a current controlfile ("Backup Meta Data") that can
>> automatically restore my "CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP", that means the current
>> controlfile is more current than the controlfile I will restore!...why do
>> that?
>> The only way I see that CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUPs might be useful is if it is
>> a separate and identifiable RMAN file (set).  Meaning I *might* be able to
>> pick it out from a list of other RMAN backup files (sets.  Then it can use
>> it by RMAN to "replicate" or OS to "cp" it back as my database
>> controlfile(s)).
>> Even still this controlfile backup would not be aware of subsequent archive
>> log backups.

CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP  ON | OFF | CLEAR;

Bug:2458246 RMAN WRONGLY THINKS BACKUPS WITH SPFILE ARE OBSOLETE
~~~~~~~~
If you have RMAN backups that include the SPFILE, and you do either REPORT
OBSOLETE or DELETE OBSOLETE with RMAN,
then RMAN might incorrectly report or delete  certain backups as obsolete, even
if they weren't.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
1) Don't use the SPFILE ..instead use the init.ora parameter file
2) Include in your scripts...
         RMAN> backup current controlfile;
This will add the controlfile in a different piece handle that the autobackup
command.
3) Don't use the autobackup command. (set OFF)
~~~~~~~~~
Fixed in: 9.2.0.2 and 10i

~~~~~~~~~
# Configure RMAN to back up the control file after each backup.
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;

# Configure RMAN to write controlfile autobackups to the /backup directory.
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO
'/backup/ora_cf%F';

* Restore & SET CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP
  SET CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO '/backup/ora_cf%F';
  RESTORE CONTROLFILE FROM AUTOBACKUP;