FW: Why "Separating Data and Indexes improves performance" is a myth?

apologies if you all eventually get this twice.

-----Original Message-----
From: Niall Litchfield
Sent: 27 April 2004 11:46
To: 'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: Why "Separating Data and Indexes improves performance" is a myth?

Jonathan wrote
> I believe Stephan Haisley has built a 9i database
> with a 7.5K block size (not for production reasons,
> of course).

SYS 27-APR-04@block>show parameter block
NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
------------------------------------ ----------- ----------------------------
db_block_buffers                     integer     0
db_block_checking                    boolean     FALSE
db_block_checksum                    boolean     TRUE
db_block_size                        integer     5120
db_file_multiblock_read_count        integer     16
SYS 27-APR-04@block>show release
release 1001000200
SYS 27-APR-04@block>

5 and 10 are such round numbers I thought I might choose the highest common
divisor for my block size...

if anyone has suggestions as to how to achieve interesting errors with this
setup the db will be around for a day or so.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
Audit Commission
+44 117 975 7805

This email contains information intended for
the addressee only.  It may be confidential
and may be the subject of legal and/or
professional privilege.  Any dissemination,
distribution, copyright or use of this
communication without prior permission of
the sender is strictly prohibited.