Re: FRA f/s block size

  • From: Yechiel Adar <adar666@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 08:52:38 +0200

No experience, just a thought.
It is used for big sequential writes and no random reads or writes.
In this case I will used the biggest block I can to minimize the I/Os to the disk.

The reason we use small blocks is to minimize the redundant data transferred to memory when you need only one record in the block. When you write or read whole blocks, in big sets, use the block size that will minimize I/O.

Yechiel Adar
Israel

On 28/03/2011 06:35, dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi folks.

I've got my development node with an FRA file system with 512 byte block size.
And production is on 4096 - max for jfs2.

Any accumulated wisdom/advice/experience on this?