Expert help

  • From: <Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:21:03 -0400

Hi guys,  (gals),

I'm clearly over my head here, so I need some guidance.  I'm not asking
absorb 5 books and 3 years experience via an email chat, but if you feel
that pointing to particular manuals, or even consultants would help
please do so.

I have been posed a problem by management whether concerning a J2EE
project where the database will be designed and modeled, and the
database(s) architected to best serve the business, based both in
Florida and Seattle.

20% of the transactions will occur on the west coast and about 80% on
the east coast.   The initial proposal was to master/master replicate
two databases.    The thinking being that to have one database in
Florida would be a big slow down for the end user experience due to
latency.   The server to server pipe is prioritized and big, but the end
user would not at this point enjoy as large a bandwidth.

The later scenario would incorporate Seattle as a data guard failover
site.  The replication idea envisions failover to the surviving
instance/database.

The question really is which way to go and why, (or another way)!
Master/Master replication to complicated?  Is latency assumed, directing
attention to replication?  Is there a better idea out there?

Surely there will be outside help brought in as I am a single DBA, and
my advise is to spend money up front to lay a solid foundation that does
not have to be re-thought six months into the project, (ie help).
(this is novel in my experience, and now have a wonderful chance to
prove it).   I notice many of you are, and know of such people, and I am
inclined to think the quality would be better than going to Oracle....
Which is their first thought for talent, (which at this point really
consists of technical support to Oracles sales staff).   However, that
is for the basic decision of replication or other, others definitely
will need to be brought in for the modeling, and I really want to see
the interaction with them and J2.

So let me know what you think.  Consider one site a failover, and
latency.  We are not married to any one idea, but I was presented with
the replication idea off the starting block.

Best Regards,

P.S.  I'll be back in the AM, wanted to get this out tonight however.
They are looking for advise asap, this week or early next week...(but
then again it might be just a motivator.... They keep threatening,
(mentioning), SQL*Server, I think, also as a motivator).  :-)

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
joel.patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx
x72546