Execution plan changing

  • From: Michael Schmitt <mschmitt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 03:49:05 +0000

Hi All,

I know this topic comes up a lot so sorry if it is repetitive, but I am seeing
an execution plan change on me in 11201 that I am having some difficulty
explaining

We are running VPD and we are only seeing this for accounts that have the
policy in place.  Running the query time after time will return in about 1
second using a plan that it determines will cost about 74k.  Every once in
awhile in the same session with nothing else happening in the database (except
share pool flushes), the query will run for 15 minutes and chooses a plan with
a cost of 204million.

I was originally thinking we might be seeing bind peeking within VPD which is
resulting in the different plans.  One of the developers who brought this to me
said he was setting optim_peek_user_binds=FALSE and still seeing it though

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance