Re: Exadata CPU Upgrade

  • From: Karl Arao <karlarao@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: qrasheed@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2012 14:27:15 -0500

I doubt that you will be able to fit that in a half rack Exadata :) let's
say each of the database is coming from the same CPU as the Exadata and
only needs 1core for its workload the sum of that will be 60cores / 96cores
= 62.5% utilization and that's not accounting any plan change or workload
spikes or any allowance for any unforeseen scenarios. And let's say 10 of
those databases would peak at 4cores at the same time then you'll eat up
all the CPUs. BTW I would recommend instance caging across the board for
this kind of consolidated environment.
Proper provisioning is the key thing here, it doesn't mean that if it's
Exadata I can fit in 60 databases in it. The capacity planning that you do
on non-Exa platform is still pretty much the same on an Exadata
platform. Actually there was this one customer when we were doing the
planning has a list of 180 databases to be migrated on Exadata (half
rack)... guess what, only 36 made it because they ran out of memory. As you
add more and more DBs make sure to validate the overall cluster utilization
(CPU).. and not all databases should be in Exadata let's say I would favor
a QA database (more critical and close to production) over a demo database
if you have a long list of DBs to migrate.

You may also be interested on the following links:
cpu - SPECint_rate2006 http://goo.gl/doBI5
cpu core comparison http://goo.gl/M8mVW

--
Karl Arao