Re: Error recovering a database with a read-only tablespace

  • From: "David Lord" <dlordster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: krish.hariharan@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 07:46:19 +0100

Krish,

The file was made read-only on the live database in April 2007 and has
been through at least one resetlogs since: when the database was
duplicated.  Because its read-only, the datafile won't have changed in
that time so, in effect, it is from another database.  From Oracle's
point-off-view, it doesn't matter whether the backup was from
yesterday or from last May as long as it was after the time it was
made read-only.  Now the restore command is bright enough to ignore
the datafile and the alter tablespace online command presumably checks
the controlfile to ensure that the file is at the right SCN.  The
puzzle for me is why the open resetlogs command can't work this out.

Thanks for your reply
David Lord