EnterpriseDB as an Oracle replacement

  • From: Ben Poels <ben.poels@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 20:56:38 -0400

I know many people have mentioned in the past that they find Postgres a
viable alternative to Oracle for many uses. Now there is EnterpriseDb which
is based on Postgres but takes it one step further and claims it is Oracle
compatible. It even has range partitioning w/o the extra $$$. They are
touting FTD, Vonage and Sony's gaming division as major users.

Is anyone using EnterpriseDB for there non-critical databases to save money
on licensing? If you are, how accurate are the compatibility claims? I know
it doesn't support XMLTYPE and private synonyms for instance. Anyone done
any benchmarks?

Ben