RE: English semantics help needed

  • From: Laimutis.Nedzinskas@xxxxxx
  • To: "'oracle-l'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 15:46:29 +0200

Judging from the note, the fix solves redo issue only.
But it talks about block corruption too.
We had a similar corruption of heavily accessed table block, SR is opened.

My understanding is that the fix does not fix the root cause of corruption.
The bug is still there.

  From:       "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>

  To:         <Laimutis.Nedzinskas@xxxxxx>, "'oracle-l'"
<oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

  Date:       2011.11.29 15:35

  Subject:    RE: English semantics help needed

I don't have time to read the note right now, I hope this is on target:

There have been bugs in the past that only affected the redo logs. Is the
current bug under discussion one of them?

If so, your primary database is okay, but if you have physical replication
target databases may have files that need to be reinstantiated or have
blocks repaired.

  From:       saurabh manroy <saurabhmanroy@xxxxxxxxx>

  To:         Laimutis.Nedzinskas@xxxxxx, oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

  Date:       2011.11.29 13:22

>> the patch does not fix the corruption. It only makes sure the
redo/archive logs are cleaned from this corruption so that backups/standby
work.

No,
From the note 7662491.8:
"The fix prevents this corruption to be introduced in the redo and will not
fix any existent corruption that is already introduced in the redo/archived
logs. Meaning that if the patch is installed and a recovery is attempted
again using the same archived logs, the error will be still produced."

>> select from table would still give an error, wouldn't it ?

Yes,Patch wouldn't fix anything that is already corrupt. Note suggests to
use dbms_repair to skip corrupt blocks.
>> There is no fix for the root cause ?
Patch would fix the rootcause but that would be of help only in future.

Regards,
Saurabh Manroy

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 12:02 PM, <Laimutis.Nedzinskas@xxxxxx> wrote:.
      Bug 7662491 - Array Update can corrupt a row. ORA-600
      [kghstack_free1]
      ORA-600 [kddummy_blkchk][6110/6129] [ID 861965.1]

      Hi listers

      I have problem reading the metalink Bug 7662491 and especially patch
      7662491. Btw, we had a similar issue meaning this is not a
      theoretical
      interest of mine.

      Do I interpret the note correctly:

      the patch does not fix the corruption. It only makes sure the
      redo/archive
      logs are cleaned from this corruption so that backups/standby work.
      select from table would still give an error, wouldn't it ?
      There is no fix for the root cause ?

      Brgds, Laimis N

-----