Encrypted Backups

Hello all,

The recent news about lost backup tapes has got me wondering about backup
safety and encrypted backups in particular. Does anybody on the list have an
interesting method for protecting the data that is written to tape and sent
off-site? A friend sent me this link to the January article in Oracle
magazine that discusses 10g release news:

<http://www.oracle.com/technology/oramag/oracle/05-jan/o15news.html>:

The article references improvements in the backup tools and Transparent Data
Encryption and he was wondering if RMAN encrypted data as it was sent to
tape. I did a little research and have found discussions about backup agents
that might perform the server, but then there's the issue of whether those
agents will work with RMAN.

I suppose one approach would be to encrypt the database and then the backup
would be encrypted as well. However, most of our data doesn't really merit
continual encryption, until the off-site backup issue raises it's
news-worthy head.

Anyone have an approach they can share? Is there any discussion at Oracle
about encrypting data as it's backed up by RMAN? Is it being done already in
some release/installation and I've missed the discussion?

Robyn