Re: Enable Parallel DML or Not?

  • From: Greg Rahn <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 11:11:07 -0700

A CTAS is DDL and does not require PDML to be enabled.  You may want
to consider NOLOGGING as well.  I'm not sure if it matters but I would
just use "parallel 16" not "parallel(degree 16)" - its what I use and
I know it works.

My guess is that operations in the query itself are gating the
throughput, not anything to do with the parallel table creation writes
to the table.  Easy to tell: just wrap your select with a "select
count(*) from (...)".

I you want more insight you will have to post the execution plan and
full sql text.

--
Regards,
Greg Rahn