Re: Embarasing question ....

Norman

What about the type bodys ? Were they invalidated ?

That could be the reason for the index objects being invalidated. Check to
see if they are in dba_dependencies.

Stefan

On 5/17/07, Norman Dunbar <norman.dunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Morning all,

John & Andrew - you both mentioned that an 'alter table move' would
cause indexes to become unusable. This problem has occurred on a
production database and no apparent cause has been found. There were
around 50 indexes on assorted tables that 'suddenly' went invalid (but
only in DBA_OBJECTS not in DBA_INDEXES where they showed up as VALID and
not UNUSABLE) and none of the tables were moved.

There was a patch applied to the database previous to the problem, but
that had been through testing etc and had not caused invalid indexes
there. It was reapplied to another development database after the
problem was noted and did not cause any problems there either.

In the words of Jim Steinman "Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad" - but in this
case, it is !

Thanks again. I'm still hunting for a cause.

Cheers,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar.
Contract Oracle DBA.
Rivers House, Leeds.

Internal : 7 28 2051
External : 0113 231 2051

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally
privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the
sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should
still check any attachment before opening it.

We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to
under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for
litigation.  Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment
Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or
recipient, for business purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our
terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506.  Find
out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

=========================

Stefan P Knecht
Consultant