RE: Emailing Query Results?

  • From: ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "Michael Cupp, Jr." <mcupp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Ian.Cary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 15:45:27 +0000

All queueing means is 'asynchronous activity'. User hits a button. The request
gets inserted to a table(or whatever). Users is done and moves on.

Background job polls the table and does the action when it gets around to it.

I haven't worked with the oracle queuing packages so I don't know how good they
are.

Concept is:

1. User does 'X'.
2. Oracle writes a row to a table.
3. Background job(dbms_job, unix process, java, or whatever), runs
periodically(every 5 minutes, 10 minutes, hour, etc... your call). Polls the
table. Sees what it needs to do. Deletes the record. Performance the action.

It's generic. You can find tons of in depth examples on queue programming on
the web. Its all the same thing. I've done it with java and with korn shell.

How would i do that?