Re: ERROR: ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress

  • From: Karl Arao <karlarao@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nileshkum@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 18:36:41 +0800

Just earlier I was also recovering a "critical test database" with no
backup and in "noarchivelog mode"
But my case was different, my current redo log group had a corrupted
block.. and yes I also used the _allow_restlogs_corruption = true
then when I opened my database the UNDO tablespace datafile also had a
corrupted block... I was able to fix it by making the
undo_management=manual and create a new UNDO tablespace.

I've documented it all here.. it will redirect you to a forum:

Redo and Undo Corruption

Also, have they tried to re-login again? and still got the ORA-01033?

For additional reading, you may want to check on the "Oracle Center of
Expertise backup and recovery documents"

COE papers

And read more on how SCN works

- Karl Arao