Re: EMC's SRDF vs Oracle DataGuard

  • From: "David Barbour" <david.barbour1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Smith.Steven@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:21:47 -0500

Are you comtemplating the SRDF for both the OLTP and Data Warehouse
databases?  We're running a pretty busy OLTP with 1082 (at last count)
interfaces.  In case of failure, we specically don't want some of the
interface files to move to the standby.  How you're interfaces are connected
processed and what becomes of them (for example, are files transferred then
archived in some manner or simply deleted? ) is going to help determine if
this type of solution will work for you.  "Lag" time is certainly an
issue.   I worked on a project where the total failover time needed to be
under 2 minutes. Really - way under.  It was a big OLTP system that did some
stuff with Train A leaving a station heading West at 40mph while Train B
left another station and headed East at 60mph.  The information coming out
of the DR Site had to be perfect.  We used replication for data and files at
the OS level but used DataGuard for the database.