Re: EMC Timefinder consistent split and Oracle --

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sat0789@xxxxxxxxx" <sat0789@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 07:10:32 -0400

Seems to me, you are confusing instance recovery and database recovery. If
instance crashes, and there's mo physical corruption, you'll get automatic
instance recovery on next startup. If that happens, Oracle will automatically
roll forward to time of crash, using active and current redo log. Archive logs
will not be involved.

If you issue 'recover database until...', now you're talking database recovery
after restore from backup, and archive logs will need to be applied.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 29, 2011, at 6:55 AM, "sathish balasubramaniam"
<sat0789@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:sat0789@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Basically what i am asking is i have had a database abort.
And in this case a few more archive logs are generated after that due to
timfinder sync.
When i mount the database, control file is read and the locations and other
info are verified.
Then whe i issue recover database until command.
I am assuming here that the recover database portion of the script will say
and only instance recovery is required by looking at stop/start SCN and
checkpoint SCN.

So how will it know that there are few more new archive logs that need to be
applied.
Thanks,
On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Kumar Madduri
<<mailto:ksmadduri@xxxxxxxxx>ksmadduri@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:ksmadduri@xxxxxxxxx>>
wrote:
Yes I think so and that should work.

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 1:51 AM, sathish balasubramaniam
<<mailto:sat0789@xxxxxxxxx>sat0789@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:sat0789@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
How would i do that...Do i do a startup mount and say recover database until
cancel and start applying archive logs generated between T1 and T2 with or
without cataloging in control file ??..Technically there is nothing to recover
isn't it. It is an instance recovery situation.
In that situation can we mount and say recover database until cancel and apply
additional archive logs ??

Thanks

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Kumar Madduri
<<mailto:ksmadduri@xxxxxxxxx>ksmadduri@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:ksmadduri@xxxxxxxxx>>
wrote:
Not sure why you want to catalog the archive logs in the control file.
It is possible to apply the archive logs between t1 and t2 and open the
database. If you are using bcv split then you are probably not using rman to
restore and recover. Then I dont think you need to let the control file know
(even with rman) about what archive logs you want to apply.

- kumar

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 11:59 PM, sathish balasubramaniam
<<mailto:sat0789@xxxxxxxxx>sat0789@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:sat0789@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
Hello All,

I have question with regards to EMC timefinder consistent split and Oracle.

I have 2 device groups

Data which has datafile, controlfle and online redo log AND
Flashback which has flashback and archive.

Now I establish and sync up primary and BCV devices, then just before doing a
split, I switch the logfile and do an timefinder consistent split only data
device group.
My flashback device group is still syncing up and accumulating new flashback
and archive logs on the BCV side.

Now assume that we have 4 new archive logs that has been generated after the
split of  data DG.
Now I do an timefinder consistent split for the flashback DG.

Data and redo device groups are of point in time T1 while
Archive log and flashback logs are of point of time T2.

I mount the BCV volumes and do a startup. At time point oracle will do a crash
recovery and bring up the database as of point T1. – That is clear.

My aim is to also apply the archive logs generated between T1 and T2.
Now assume that instead of doing a startup, I do a startup mount and catalog
the new archive logs in the control file and then I do a recover database.
My question is will the new archive logs be applied by the recover process and
can I bring up the database as of time T2 and open it up with resetlogs.

Is this possbile..

Appriciate your help in this regard...

Thanks,

Sat