EMC Powerpath and ASMLib

  • From: Raj Mareddi <raj.mareddi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 20:05:51 -0500

Fellow DBAs,

We gotta make a decision to use raw devices of powerpath or ASMLib over
powerpath. I know ASMLib historically got some issues with Powerpath(cause
ASM Couldn't understand mutlipathing). But it sounds like these issues are
now fixed with Linux kernel 2.6 and 2.0 ASMLib. However, The EMC white paper
for best practices doesn't mention ASMLib at all.

Just curious on what you guys using ? or What option would you use and why ?

(I personally prefer raw device names of power path (by using pseudo names),
just as explained in
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/asm/pdf/asm-on-emc-5_3.pdf

I am sure lot of you are already through this situation. Would you please
share your thoughts and experience ?

Thanks,
Raj Mareddi