Re: EMC, NetWorker Module for Oracle : Backup STrategy

  • From: saurabh manroy <saurabhmanroy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sidi.bouzid.meknessy@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 10:42:30 +0200

Hi,

When you configure retention policy to None, this would keep all backups in
the RMAN catalog as available (non-obsolete).
Configuring retention policy in the backup server (EMC) would make sure that
backup files are deleted according to retention policy of EMC networker
backup.
That means, you have to run crosscheck command (followed by delete expired)
to get RMAN catalog and the EMC networker in Sync.

I had similar setup, where in Symantec Netbackup used to trigger RMAN
backups and retention policy was defined within the netbackup policy. For
better control, I  changed it to the following:

a.) Use Oracle Scheduler to trigger RMAN backups.
b.) Define retention policy in RMAN and put delete obsolete command in the
generic backup script. (The retention window on Netbackup server > retention
window defined in RMAN) .
c.) Avoids running crosscheck command time and again.

Regards,
Saurabh Manroy
http://smanroy.wordpress.com