Re: Dual homes on application clients

2007/5/9, Neil Overend <neiloverend@xxxxxxxxx>:
YMMV but in my experience 9i client works happily against a 10g
database ( and vice versa). We've got a mixture of 9i and 10g and for
tns connections (via SQL*Plus

With old SQL*Plus version and new db you can get some suprises because
SQL*Plus also parses commands, for example:

SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production on Tr Mai 9 11:40:12 2007

Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Connected to:
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options

SQL> desc t
----------------------------------------- -------- ----------------------------
ID                                        NOT NULL NUMBER
A                                                  VARCHAR2(4000)

SQL> drop table t;

Table dropped.

SQL> flashback table t to before drop;
SP2-0734: unknown command beginning "flashback ..." - rest of line ignored.

Although one can of course fool it:

SQL> begin
 2    execute immediate 'flashback table t to before drop';
 3  end;
 4  /

SQL> desc t
ID                                        NOT NULL NUMBER
A                                                  VARCHAR2(4000)

Probably not very common problem though :)

Gints Plivna
http://www.gplivna.eu