Dratted LONG column

I have to do a select using the long column in the where clause.

Of course that won't work.

7 million rows.  Some of the long data is over 15,000 characters (people
like to write novels).

I've tried to use the ANYDATA data type but I can't COPY into ANYDATA and I
can't SELECT (for insert) from a LONG. Any ideas (or being pointed in the
right direction) would be greatly appreciated.

On a related note - if I'm going to build a new table (and I think that I
am), the existing table has a poor design.  There are 10 attributes that
are IDs.  One and only one of them must be non-null.  I.e., one will have
data and the other nine must be null.  Rather than have 10 fields in my new
table (with only one of them having data at any one time) I'd like to have
an ID number and an ID_TYPE that records the column name in the original
table where the value was non-null.  Any nifty ideas on how to do this
(other than using a series of selects from the original table that tests
each field for non-nullity)?

Thanks