Re: Does anyone use 10gR2 Grid control for enterprise wide monitoring ?

  • From: "Peter Smith" <goodjobfastcar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 17:28:03 -0800

I made some progress.

I found a blog with a hint which probably fixed my problem:

There is one other parameter in that may cause a few
problems. If your agent NEVER successfully uploads data after
installation, check the TIMEZONE parameter in the
file. It is usually the last parameter in When our
agent's time zones didn't match the time zone in the management
server's configuration file, we weren't able to establish a successful
connection between the agents and the management service. So if you
have agentTZRegion=America/New_York in the agent's
file, you'll prevent a lot of headaches if you use the same time zone
in the management server's configuration file. We don't
have any servers in different time zones, but there is a wealth of
information contained in the 10G Grid Control documentation to help
those that do. What I do know is that when the time zones didn't
match, we couldn't make a connection.

On my host,
the values for agentTZRegion did not match.

For the agent I have this:

For OMS I had this:

For OMS I now have this:

After I made the changed I bounced oms with this:

emctl stop oms
emctl start oms

Then I bounced the agent.

Then I did:

bash-3.1$ emctl upload agent
Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Release
Copyright (c) 1996, 2005 Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.
EMD upload completed successfully

That was encouraging.

I checked status:

bash-3.1$ emctl status agent
Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Release
Copyright (c) 1996, 2005 Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.
Agent Version     :
OMS Version       :
Protocol Version  :
Agent Home        : /usr/lib/oracle/xe/gc2/OracleHomes/agent10g
Agent binaries    : /usr/lib/oracle/xe/gc2/OracleHomes/agent10g
Agent Process ID  : 14275
Parent Process ID : 14247
Agent URL         : https://ow2:3872/emd/main/
Repository URL    : https://ow2:1159/em/upload
Started at        : 2006-12-22 18:22:44
Started by user   : oracle
Last Reload       : 2006-12-22 18:22:44
Last successful upload                       : 2006-12-22 18:23:18
Total Megabytes of XML files uploaded so far :     0.68
Number of XML files pending upload           :        0
Size of XML files pending upload(MB)         :     0.00
Available disk space on upload filesystem    :    68.83%
Last successful heartbeat to OMS             : 2006-12-22 18:22:47
Agent is Running and Ready

Next, I went to the console page in the UI:

My targets had reappeared!

And I nosed around in alerts and found a bunch of
new alerts which had been bottled up in Agent alert queue.

And I check my e-mail, and I had a bunch of new
e-mail alerts.

So the smell of some progress is sweet.

I have no idea how this POS software ended up in this
hole and I don't have much of a clearer picture of how
it works.

Anyway EM-GC is functioning in my lab and maybe it will
stay stable for another 10 minutes.