RE: Does SELECT start a transaction?

Hi Ryan,

2-phase commit, not 3-phase commit, but yes, that's the reason.

Hi Jon,

In reading Ryan's reply, I also re-read your original posting.
"....Oracle documentation states that one of the requirements is that
there are no active transaction on the *destination* table."

The reason for this is that if you do a direct load, it will take a TM
enqueue in 'X' mode, preventing any other DML from happening on the
table.  (This is done to protect the HWM, which is directly manipulated
during direct load.)  At the start of the load, before the TM enqueue
can be acquired, the transaction will queue behind any other DML holding
locks on the table.  However, I just did a little test (on 9.2.0.8) and
though a transaction is started on the local database, it doesn't seem
to actually acquire any locks on any tables, so, even if you DO have
remote or distributed selects happening, they should NOT interfere with
your direct load.

Sorry, just a case of me not fully processing *why* you were asking the
question, and that changing the answer.

-Mark

--
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Oracle Architect

"There are 10 types of people in the world:  Those who understand
binary, and those who don't."

        From: Jonathan Knight <knightjck_work@xxxxxxxxx>

________
        &g t; http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l