Re: Does SELECT start a transaction?

  • From: ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: knightjck_work@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 13:21:33 +0000

I think in some databases where reads lock writes, select is considered to lock
a transaction. I think SQL Server used to work this way, but with SQL Server
2005 they added some form of Multi-Versioning. Transactions only involve
changes to the data.

Mark: I didnt know a select started a transaction when you access a remote
object. That is interesting. So you actually get an SCN off a select in the
redo logs when you select across a database link? I guess this is for the 3
phase commit process.

From: Jonathan Knight <knightjck_work@xxxxxxxxx>