Re: Do you ask the question: How do I work with Oracle Support....?

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 09:00:05 -0700

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 7:45 PM, Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> So, I wonder if it's fair to judge Oracle support vs. some of the brighter
> minds here. Wolfgang, you and several others here on Oracle-L know Oracle to
> such a degree that your calls to Oracle support are probably more likely to
> be reporting bugs that you have already identified, or dealing with truly
> mystifying issues. Somehow I think that if you are opening an SR and sending
> a 10046 trace file to Oracle Wolfgang, I suspect the problem was anything
> other than simple.

It's been some time since I have opened an SR.  I avoid it if at all
possible.

While I have had some great experiences with Oracle support, the memory of
them is often
so clouded by the bad experiences that I don't want to open an SR except as
a last resort.

Great experiences:  An Oracle support person (in Australia) helped me to
open a database
which I had stupidly screwed up.  He was most helpful and very
knowledgeable.

Another: When setting up OID with MS AD, I had to open quite a few SR's.
 One good
experience in particular occurred when one of the developers called me and
told me
about a required setting that was not documented.  That was awesome!

Poor experiences: Several of these:  spend 1-2 hours carefully documenting a
problem,
and then get a phone call asking to explain what was wrong.  I can't tell
you how many
times I have been asked a question that was clearly shown in the uploaded
documentation.
(This is not just an Oracle problem, but an industry problem - seen it
elsewhere as well)

Jared Still
Home Page: http://jaredstill.com