Re: Distributed transactions (two-phase commint) without DB links

  • From: Alexander Gorbachev <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: zoran_martic@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 23:26:32 +0100

> I also agree that simple solutions are just better.
> In this case db links.
Exactly! Now it's easier without DB links and that's what we want to
keep simple.
If using OCI or XA API is too bulky, complex, slow, etc. than we might
choose db links.

> > For 9i, check out "OCITransPrepare
> > ()", "OCITransForget()",
> > "OCITransCommit()", and "OCITransRollback()".
> We are using all kind of nasty OCI calls. The only OCI
> API we did not implement in our apps are these costly
> distributed XA API's.
If I am not mistaken it's pure OCI and XA API is build on top of it.
Am I incorrect assuming that DB links are done in principle via the
same mechanism?

> Even our applications driving the biggest telecom
> "real-time" companies around the world we are leaving
> the possibility for data loss. It is just cheaper then
> HW/SW you need to overcome the loss.
Well... sometimes data loss or functional inconsitence is very expensive.

> Of course it depends on the nature of your
> application, but sometimes it is just cheaper to save
> on the HW/SW licenses for not using "crazy" API's and
> to be perfect.
> If you are eager to pay Oracle and HW vendors for more
> licenses the just go with these fancy things.
You don't pay extra for OCI.
I thought XA API is also included with normal license.

--
Best regards,
Alex Gorbachev