RE: Distributed transactions (two-phase commint) without DB links

I also agree that simple solutions are just better.
In this case db links.

> For 9i, check out "OCITransPrepare
> ()", "OCITransForget()",
> "OCITransCommit()", and "OCITransRollback()".
We are using all kind of nasty OCI calls. The only OCI
API we did not implement in our apps are these costly
distributed XA API's.
Even our applications driving the biggest telecom
"real-time" companies around the world we are leaving
the possibility for data loss. It is just cheaper then
HW/SW you need to overcome the loss.

Of course it depends on the nature of your
application, but sometimes it is just cheaper to save
on the HW/SW licenses for not using "crazy" API's and
to be perfect.
If you are eager to pay Oracle and HW vendors for more
licenses the just go with these fancy things.

Of course I am not saying that TP monitors,
distributed transactions are crazy things. Just you
are going to pay a lot for them and in most cases your
app does not needed it.

Links are going to cover it nicely.
Even two separate connections commiting separately one
after each other will be fine if you can recover your
business transaction in smart way from the failure.

Regards,
Zoran