Re: Disabling DBMS_SCHEDULER

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 15:35:14 -0600 (CST)

> No. In my experience, setting job_queue_processes to zero only stops
> the dbms_jobs jobs from running.
>
> Daniel

Once upon a time, I had an SR open about this.  There is this procedure:

dbms_scheduler.set_scheduler_attribute('SCHEDULER_DISABLED', 'TRUE');

...but I was not able to get it to work reliably in 10.1.0.5.0 on AIX.  Even
with it disabled, jobs inexplicably ran.  What I ended up doing was to
create a stub function that checked a status.  This status is manually set
by me (e.g. value in a single-row table or perhaps something "automatic"
like instance name).  Per protocol, every procedure in a DBMS_SCHEDULER job
must first call this function.  That way, I can emulate the disabled
scheduler attribute as it was intended to be used.

It's a bit of a hack, but better for me than attempting to get a patch to
fix the scheduler bug.  Of course, YMMV, as my problem stemmed from testing
RMAN recovery of our production database on a test node.  And since the
production jobs ran in this test recovery database, they also sent email,
confusing the recipients.  My function, however, is simple enough to work
across multiple versions of Oracle.

HTH!  GL!

Rich