Re: Differential incremental backups

  • From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: william.muriithi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 10:50:23 -0300

According to Oracle Courseware (it's been a while, but I think I remember it
right). There are Full Backups and Incremental Backups. Full Backups take
the entire database, Incremental backups have different levels.
Level 0 Incremental Backup: Takes the entire database (works just like a
full backup, but is used for base point to level 1 and 2 incremental
backups).
Level 1 Incremental Backup: backs up all blocks changed after the most
recent incremental backup at level 1 or 0
Level 2 Incremental Backup (differential): backs up all blocks changed after
the most recent incremental backup at level 0

These are executed using the 'INCREMENTAL LEVEL 0|1|2' in the RMAN BACKUP
clause.

For level 1 and 2 backups, having block_change_tracking enable significantly
speeds up the backup process. This also requires backup optimization to be
on.

Now, as to you REAL question: Will I be able to apply backups up to
Wednesday night SCN and open the database ?

What you want to do is called a Point in Time Recovery (PITR), this is
possible both with Full backup and with any incremental backup strategy.

Example 1:
Level 0 on saturday
Level 1 sunday, monday, wednesday and friday.
Level 2 on Tuesday and Thursday.

On Friday you want to recover the database to wednesday night's SCN. You run
the following command:
NLS_DATE_FORMAT='yyyy-mm-dd:hh24:mi:ss'
run {
set until time '2010-03-17:23:59:59'
restore database;
recover database;
alter database open resetlogs;
}

RMAN will automatically restore the saturday Level 0 backup, Tuesday Level 2
backup and Wednesday Level 1 backup, plus all archivelogs since the start of
Wednesday Level 1 backup up until the requested time, and will perform the
recovery accordingly.

Example 2:
Level 0 on saturday
Level 1 sunday to friday (finishes before midnight)

On Friday you want to recover the database to wednesday night's SCN. You run
the following command:
NLS_DATE_FORMAT='yyyy-mm-dd:hh24:mi:ss'
run {
set until time '2010-03-17:23:59:59'
restore database;
recover database;
alter database open resetlogs;
}

RMAN will automatically restore the saturday Level 0 backup and all Level 1
backups until Wednesday plus all archivelogs needed. and will perform the
recovery accordingly.

hth
Alan.-