Re: Differential incremental backups

  • From: Don Seiler <don@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 21:00:18 -0500

I used incrementally updated backups in 10gR2 (or at least thought
that's what I was doing).  A quick peek at the docs confirmed that
they did exist then:

Is there something distinctly new about them in 11g?  Or are we not
talking about the same thing?

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Robert Freeman
<robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ok...
> Incrementally updated backups are a new 11g feature that allow you to merge
> the level 1 backup into the level 0 base backup. Thus, at any time you only
> need 1 base and 1 incremental backup at any time. It differs from the
> incremental backups in that the base backup is updated, so the level 1
> backup will not be as large or take as long as it otherwise would.

Don Seiler